Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration - I know its a tad late...

What I was immediately struck by was the almost wholly religious quality the inauguration had. I don't mean it was a holy event per se, but it felt like a service with all the standing and sitting, sermon-like speeches, music, and poetry, as well as the appearance from a preacher. But this is to be expected of a country founded upon Christian ideals and beliefs, in a sense. 
But the real "presidential" feeling of this event came to me in the form of the strange, perhaps nearly royal trumpeting and band music. It was all silly pomp and circumstance in the truly American way that cannot be feared but not disregarded as fluff either. It has a quality that is grand but also hides in itself at the same time, afraid to be too overbearing. The symbiotic relationship between this music and the announcing of the filing politicians in perfect coordinated lines, timed, and released as to seem appropriately stately, had a few slip ups but perhaps if it was too polished it would seem rehearsed and too rigid. 
One of the moments that really defined the day for me was when President Obama received his title officially. He seemed so excited that he didn't wait long enough to listen to all he had to repeat and jumped ahead like a little boy excited to recite his poem in class. 
I can't explain my admiration for this man. There is a weird sweeping emotion that catches me whenever I see him and hear him. I feel that even parts of his speech seemed like scripture for example, "they did it for us" just as "Jesus sacrificed himself for us sinners." 
Yeah, I cried. I'm a baby. Its probably a product of feeling as part of an entity, a group, and subsequently lose my own individuality, by surrendering it to the all consuming ecstasy of the "United States." Solidarity can sometimes be frightening and make you feel inhuman, but this time I experienced no such qualms or bad taste in my mouth. Perhaps this day ushered in my life as a true "citizen" of this country and world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment