Monday, February 16, 2009

When I look in the mirror what do I see? Caravaggio???

(not the best picture of me, but it has an ambiguous facial expression)

The color and pose reminds me a fair amount of a Caravaggio painting. Interestingly enough, this photo was taken before I read about the assignment. I really don't know what I was thinking when I took this photograph. Was it pride? Was it self-love? Was it curiosity at the mirror revealed of me? Or was it a dare for the viewer to linger over my feature, my expression?

I would not really have wanted to have been Caravaggio. His story is pretty cringe worthy. The only thing I want to share with him is an early squalor in life and perhaps the luck of being celebrated and renowned for my art later in life. Also, perhaps his ability for lovely and compelling portraits in his wonderful paintings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment