Thursday, May 21, 2009

Writing as a Romanticist

The Raft of the Medusa - 
I am swept away by this image of horror and gloom. The browns and viridescent waters drown me and I dwell upon those poor souls who unfortunately plunged into the depths. The pallid skin of survivors and strangely, the power of their bodies, holds me rapt in dazzled bewilderment. The storm clouds are about to explode over the waters and will soon ravage their ramshackle raft. The almost orgiastic pile of bodies, in the throes of death, pain, despair, but also hope writhes in the center of my attention. 
The group at the front frantically waves their tattered rags at a black speck ahead. It appears to be a boat. Rescue is close at hand! But still, my eyes linger over the dead immersed in the ocean waters. How many were lost to madness or cannibalism? I shudder at that thought. I turn away from this enormous record of tragedy, yet I feel staring deep into my soul into this night. How could this terrible event have been let to occur?

No comments:

Post a Comment